Tuesday, August 3, 2010

The Bible Challenge: Low

Ever felt so low in spirit that you're so desperate that you make a wish, aside from prayer??? That's where I get the title from.

In the Bible, it says it's actually better to be low in spirit than prideful. Therefore, as long as you aren't all like, "Oh look, I, and ONLY I, made it to the state fair in my division for 4-H. I, and ONLY I, have the Outlast Lipstain. (which by the way works really well.) I, and ONLY I, can speak Chinese AND French, which YOU can't", well then, you're okay. Rather be depressed than prideful.

If you've heard the song "Better Than A Hallelujah" by Amy Grant, it says:

"We pour out our miseries, God just hears a melody. Beautiful the mess we are, honest cries of breaking hearts, are better than a hallelujah."

You're probably thinking: "Okay, so God LIKES to hear all my troubles??? Does Amy Grant know what she's talking about???" I agree, it does seem weird, but the thing is it's great when we call out to God instead of randomly wishing on some airplane in the night sky. (..."Like shooting stars"...) I mean, sure, we could ALL use a wish right now, repeat, wish right now, repeat, wish right now. The verse says:

Proverbs 16:18-19
Pride goes before destruction, a haughty spirit before a fall. Better to be lowly in spirit and among the oppressed than to share plunder with the crowd.

This would be a great motto to live by for kids our age, (and even adults! When I say kids, yes, that includes teens.) because we all tend to say or do things that may not make sense and seem really... well... snobby. Everyone lies. Everyone cheats. Everyone steals. Everyone gossips. (I'm guilty of that one!) That makes us all mean in ways, but we all have our nice sides. Many of us do. Some kids don't like being nice, but really are.

I can be mad at someone one moment and then forget about it the next. There's those times when I'm just like, (no names):

"You are really stuck-up anyway. I don't want to be friends with someone like that! Why am I friends with you?! I don't want to be your friend. I'm sick and tired of being used. I'm sick of being told 'you're invited' and then hearing about all the fun you had... Yeah. All the fun you had, without me, that is. I'm tired of your little hissy fits. You say 'friends forever' but I don't see a future. You think you're all that. You drag me into every relationship, every guy, everything. You're a drama queen. Just leave me alone anyway."

But be patient. That person may make you feel low, but pray for yourself, and you NEED to pray for them. Maybe you'll be the best of friends someday. You'll never know...

My point is, if you're feeling low and even depressed, look up, keep your head high, and know that you're doing better than a prideful person.

Next in The Bible Challenge: Proverbs 18:4, 9-10. We're half done!

New Country: Turkey! Thirteen is now fourteen! This blog is officially global!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments appreciated, keep them appropriate, however. Remember, this blog's audience is ages 12+, so be aware of who might be reading.