A few more songs for your auditioning playlist...
- DO. "Manhattan Bridge" from Next Thing You Know. This song isn't too popular because it ran off-Broadway, so it isn't mainstream at all, really. Only the people casting will know what you're singing from, most likely.
- DON'T. "If You Were Gay," "Everyone's A Little Bit Racist," "The Internet is For Porn," or "It Sucks to Be Me" from Avenue Q. As much as I love "It Sucks to Be Me" (and I even recommended the first part of it: "What Do You Do With a B.A. in English"), always avoid controversial, inappropriate, or uncomfortable show tunes.
- DO. "The Way To Get a Girl" from Next Thing You Know. "The way to get a girl is to get a girl. When you're taken, they'll flock by the score! But then take it from me: the second that you're free, the girls you thought would want you don't want you anymore! It's a guaranteed get: grab a girl and you're set. They know, they know, they know. ... The way to get a girl is to get a girl. If you're spoken for, they'll line by the block. Oh yes, somehow they know, when you're somebody's beau, that's when they'll go to you sure as tick goes with tock! Although it sounds cool, it's approvable rule. I know, I know, I know!" Of course, you might want to make it obvious these aren't your actual opinions about women.
- DON'T DON'T DON'T DON'T. "No Good Deed" from Wicked. I'm singing the chant, "Eleka nahmen nahmen ah tum ah tum eleka nahmen" in my mind as I type this. This song is so difficult-- worse than "Defying Gravity," actually. If you can't show emotion well, this song will bring out that weakness. Besides, you know my opinions about Wicked. And there's no way to sing "No Good Deed" without shouting "Fiyero!" from the top of your lungs. And while you're at it, you have got to hear Willemijn Verkaik's performance here. I died at 1:03, 1:07, 1:36, 1:56 (I love the way she sweetly sings "Fiyero"), 3:03, 3:08, 3:10, and the way she says "Again" at the end. I also can't get over how she says "Let him never die!" I totally fell in love with her as Amneris, and now I'm obsessed. No fangirl goes unpunished. I only hope to one day be as good a singer as her, and maybe join the long line of Elphabas. But I can only dream of that-- each Elphie sets the bar higher and higher.
- DON'T. "Seasons of Love" from Rent. Even my sister who hates musicals knows how many minutes there are in a year because of this song.
This is all I can think of right now. Who knows-- maybe a part three is coming?