Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Secular To Gospel: Acoustic/Pop Day!

Welcome to round 2 of Secular To Gospel Week! Today, we have a double showdown! Our contenders are...

Willow Smith's "Whip My Hair" versus...

Mary Mary's "God In Me".

Willow's Message
Be yourself. Don't be afraid to be a little crazy sometimes, just whip your hair and have fun.

Mary Mary's Message
Reflecting God's light! They're nice and sweet, but that's not them making themselves that way... it's the God in them.

So... the difference?
These songs, actually, are very different from each other. "God In Me" is quite a bit slower than "Whip My Hair". So why did I pick these two? Well, because if you like Alicia Keys or this song by Willow Smith, you're definitely going to love Mary Mary, especially because Mary Mary is upbeat, but they still have meaningful lyrics! (Fun fact: They are also very popular for Christian/Gospel music. They've been mentioned in ESSENCE magazine quite a few times. I don't read ESSENCE but it keeps getting sent to my house. And then it keeps getting sent to Kayla's house, too, so of course that ends up being given to me and then we have double the issues!)

NEXT CHALLENGE...

(Waiting for him to smile... Wow so that must be what it looks like when I sing... I'm not that great at smiling while singing either.) John Mayer's "Say (What You Need To Say)" versus... (Is it me or does he kinda look like Taylor Lautner?)

(He kinda reminds me of Pastor Jay... it must be the name thing) Jeremy Camp's "Let It Fade".

John's Message
It's in the title! Say what you need to say! "It's better to say too much then never to say what you need to say."

Jeremy's Message
What happened yesterday does not define your tomorrow. Jesus wiped away your sin on the cross, so you can let that old life fade.

So... the difference?
In music type? Sort of a big difference, but in a way, not really. They both mainly use guitars in their songs. They are almost acoustic style. However, There are evident electric guitars in "Let It Fade". In "Say", well, that's basically acoustic because I only really remember hearing a violin, cello, and acoustic guitar. But I'm sure it's probably not acoustic.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm inspired by both songs. But just think... "Say what you need to say"? "Have no fear for giving in"? "Do it with a mind wide open"? Is that all there is to life? Or what about this:

"Let this old life crumble, let it fade". "Have you been looking for a place where belong?". "Let this new life offered be your saving grace". Now that's what I call inspiring.

Let this old life crumble, let it fade... Let it fade.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments appreciated, keep them appropriate, however. Remember, this blog's audience is ages 12+, so be aware of who might be reading.