Friday, April 15, 2011

RandomNess Friday Special~Meet A Young Author!

A few weeks ago I went to the Midwest Homeschool Convention in Cincinnati, Ohio. There were many people to see and places to go, curriculum to buy, even duct tape bows and all that kind of good stuff. I went as a teenager for the Teen Track with my mom, even though all the "Teen Tracks" were full of adults and I barely went to them.

I had been excited all weekend for this nineteen-year-old author's session, and dragged Maria and Kayla to go with me. Much to my surprise, I even got an interview with her!

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome the fabulous Victoria Kasten!
~~~
Being a young author, how could you balance school with what I like to call "writing for fun"? (In other words, I could just say creative writing.)


In college, it's a lot harder than it is in high school. Try to give yourself at least an hour [to write.]

(Sorry, Victoria... I couldn't keep up.)

How long did it take to write your book(s)?

[Certain books] (pointing to the books on her left) took me about about a month, these (the ones on her right) took me about a year.

What was the process? How many times did you edit?

I edited once. Basically, you get in touch with a [self-publisher]... if you go to Morris, they'll help you format your cover.

What are your words of encouragement for young authors?

Young Christian writers are a very big need right now... there are some very dark books on the market, so if you have a writing talent, I say go for it.
~~~
Thank you, Victoria! I am sorry that I had to use dot-dot-dots and brackets... it's just I'm a very slow handwriter :(

And for the rest of you guys.....

  • Be sure to visit Victoria's Website!
  • Did you know she recently published a book with her new husband Ben Tecken, called "Ink On Their Fingers"? Doesn't it make you want a spouse that can write?
  • Did you know Victoria was homeschooled?
  • Victoria published her first book around the ages of thirteen and fourteen.
  • Even before the age of sixteen, she published an article in a magazine!
  • Here's her beautiful Wedding Pictures! and fun facts!
Do not let ANYONE look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity.
-1 Timothy 4:12

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments appreciated, keep them appropriate, however. Remember, this blog's audience is ages 12+, so be aware of who might be reading.