Friday, February 25, 2011

RandomNess Friday Special~Meet A Meteorologist!

A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to email one of the best meteorologists in the Dayton area. It was an "interview"--- but not in person. Who is this mysterious man?

It's the famous, coolio....

Jeffrey Booth of Dayton's News Source!
~
Hello, I'm Hope Ezell and I am an aspiring twelve-year-old author. I am the owner and administrator of Your Blog: My Life And Yours. I have been interviewing people for as long as I remember, so if you wouldn't mind, would it be fine if you could answer a few questions?

Hope, thank you for taking the time to send me a list of questions.  I'd be more than happy to answer them.

What is it like being a meteorologist?




It's a good job. I've always found the weather to be a fascinating subject and I think it's great that I get to talk about something I love for a living.
 
On a scale of 1-10, how much do you enjoy your job, 1 being not a whole bunch, 10 being  the best?

It all depends on the day you ask me this. Sometimes the job can be very stressful but rewarding. On days when we have severe weather it can get a little hectic but it's also nice to talk about an event you called for in advance. Days when I get called in on my day off b/c of bad weather (sometimes a day I requested months in advance) I'd say about a 6. But all in all I'd give the job an 8 or a 9.

What do you like best about your job?


I love the fact that every day brings something different. Even if we're stuck in a weather rut there are still day to day changes in the pattern so no two days are the same.

What do you not like about your job?


Sometimes I'm not wild about the hours b/c I have a family and working nights I don't get to see them as much as I'd like too.

How did you reach a position like this?


The same way most people do, I started out in a small town doing working @ a TV station and worked my way up to bigger and better places and after 8 years I had the chance to move closer to home so I took it.

What did you do in college to get where you are?


Studied hard and made sure I got good grades. I also worked for campus television to get an idea of what went into being on camera.

How did you apply for your job?


I sent a resume but more importantly I sent a demo tape. Demo tapes should highlight your strengths so a potential employer can decide whether or not he/she wants to bring you in for an interview and if all goes well a potential job offering.

Since you've been working for Dayton's News Source, has your life been hectic? How do you keep your life organized, if so?


My life has always been hectic... but not just b/c I work in TV. More importantly I have three kids which always keeps me busy. The best way I can organize my life is set aside time and plan on things I can do w/ my family b/c that's the most important thing.

Where were you born?


Grand Haven, MI

Where have you lived since then? (sorry, if I sound like a stalker.)

I grew up in Columbus, OH; went to school in Athens, OH; took my first full-time job in TV in Oak Hill, WV; moved back to Lima, OH to focus more on weather; moved to Hawaii for a weekend meteorologist position that eventually became a morning meteorologist position; and then moved here where I currently work as a meteorologist for ABC22/Fox45

What got you into meteorology?


I was always fascinated w/ winter weather as a kid b/c I wanted to miss school due to a snow day. After awhile I began to notice the meteorologists in my hometown always called for snow that never came and that got me interested in weather.

Did you do any sports as a kid?

I ran cross country and pole vaulted.

What inspires you?


Seeing someone who can take a chance, beat the odds and make a great life for them self.

Have you ever had any doubts about getting into your career?

I did when I started b/c the pay was low (and I had a family to support), the hours were long and I was moving away from my comfort zone.

What would you say to aspiring meteorologists or youth?


Work hard in math and science when you're in school. Those are the foundations of meteorology. When you finally do get a job don't be afraid to move far away and "pay your dues". After you've been doing the job for awhile, don't be afraid to trust your gut - there's an art to forecasting and the more you do it the more you can pick up on trends that the computer forecast models aren't noticing, that's where trusting your gut comes in.
~
Special Thanks to...
Everyone I've interviewed! But for now...

I need some applause for Jeff Booth!

If you live in Dayton and don't watch the news, start watching NOW. Watch FOX 45 or ABC 22, and most likely you will see Jeff. He's the one to depend on if you want a snow day.

And yes, I asked more than a few questions, my apologies to Mr. Booth. But I learned a lot about him, and it was a lot of fun! It meant a lot to me!

Thanks, Mr. Booth!
-Hope

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments appreciated, keep them appropriate, however. Remember, this blog's audience is ages 12+, so be aware of who might be reading.