Sunday, December 25, 2011

God Rest Ye, Merry Gentlemen!!!

It's Christmas day! Yay! I am having a great Christmas! It's so much better than last Christmas. It still feels like a normal day because snow just doesn't wanna fall on the Miami Valley this year, does it? We haven't had a white Christmas since that ginormous storm back in like, '04 or something. So I don't even dream of white Christmases anymore, because I know that in Dayton, Ohio; they just don't happen.

I got an iTunes card as my favorite gift this year. (and a new computer for the whole family--- you know what that means? No more Microsoft Word 2001 {or something like that}--- We're updating!!!) I downloaded eighteen songs and still have $5.47 left... hmm what should I buy? I know I have to keep at least one dollar so I can buy my "Behind the Scenes" (Francesca Battistelli) performance track for Fine Arts.

So, the first thing I did was buy "Christmas Lights" by Coldplay. This song is just so true. Like:

"When you're still waiting for the snow to fall, it doesn't really feel like Christmas at all."

In Dayton, it never feels like Christmas!!!!! Which is weird, I mean, HELLO, I live in a pretty cold climate. But oh well. Welcome to Ohio...

But this song also means, may it sound like pun was intended, hope. "Christmas night, another fight. Tears, we cried a flood." Sounds like a pretty sad Christmas Eve... no one would feel like celebrating Christmas. But...

"Those. Christ. Mas. Lights, light up the street, down where the sea and city meet. May all your troubles soon be gone. Oh Christmas lights, keep shining on!"

Even if you're having a bad Christmas, guess what??? Think about it like this: You're celebrating Christ's birth--- there's no reason to not be happy! Jesus is alive (still)! He was born so we could have new life! So that when he died on the cross that fateful Friday (and people wonder why I love Fridays... hmm...), we could be separated from sin and set apart to serve God. So you can choose to be an atheist or whatever if you want, you were born with free will. But, remember what this day really is. And ask yourself:

Why do YOU celebrate Christmas???

Is it for getting gifts? Do you like giving the gifts? Are you like me, someone who likes to try something new every year? (Making homemade cards for everyone in my half of the grade---that's twenty-seven kids---was intense this year. Super difficult.) Well, here's MY question for YOU:

If you don't believe in God, why do you celebrate Christmas? Because that doesn't make sense to me, just being honest. I wouldn't celebrate a holiday for someone I don't believe in. Maybe you're a kid and your parents believe in God so you celebrate it anyway, and I understand. But I don't see how someone can celebrate a holiday for someone they don't believe in. Christmas has become a holiday for just giving and receiving. But remember what the ultimate gift is, who gave their life for you...

"I think you've forgotten who really defeated the White Witch, Peter."
-Lucy, Disney/Walden's "The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian"

Don't forget who Christmas is really about, alright? Merry Christmas, y'all. PEACE!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments appreciated, keep them appropriate, however. Remember, this blog's audience is ages 12+, so be aware of who might be reading.