Saturday, July 3, 2010

Psalm 13 & Hold My Heart

Have you heard "Hold My Heart" by Tenth Avenue North??? If you haven't, you need to hear it on the blog playlist. Many Christians nowadays get so caught up listening to "Your Love Is My Drug" (Kesha), "Put A Ring On It" (Beyonce), and "Empire State Of Mind" (Alicia Keys, which is not a bad song, if you aren't listening to Jay-Z's version.)

But because barely any Christians actually LISTEN to Christian music, this blog is FULL of Christian music. Today, we're talking about Tenth Avenue North's famous song.

In the song "Hold My Heart" written by the band's lead singer Mike Donehey, (Mike Donehey was in the video podcast journals we learned about a while ago.) with Jason Ingram and Phillip Larue, it says:

"How long must I pray, must I pray to you? How long must I wait, must I wait for you? How long 'til I see your face, see you shining through. I'm on my knees, begging you to notice me. I'M ON MY KNEES, FATHER WILL YOU TURN TO ME?! Yeah.
(CHORUS)
One tear in the driving RAIN! One voice in a sea of PAIN! Could the maker of the stars hear the sound of my breaking heart??? One life, that's all I AM! Right now I can barely STAND! If you're everything you say you are would you come close, and hold my heart."

When this song was first written, the writers must've checked out Psalm 13 because it says:

Psalm 13:1-6 (the full chapter)
How long O LORD will you forget me forever??? How long will you hide your face from me??? How long must I wrestle with my thoughts and everyday have sorrow in my heart??? How long will my enemy triumph over me??? Look on me and answer, O LORD my God. Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep in death; my enemy will say, "I have overcome him," and my foes will rejoice when I fall. But I trust in your UNFAILING love, my heart rejoices in your salvation. I will sing to the LORD, for he has been good to me.

Pretty good chapter, huh? Where it says "How long O LORD will you forget me forever" reminds me of the "Hold My Heart" bridge of the song where it says:

"So many questions with out answers..."

Where it says "How long will you hide your face from me" reminds of the beginning of the song where it says:

"How long 'til I see your face, see you shining through..."

And lastly, where it says "he has been good to me" reminds me of the bridge in the song where it says:

"...Your promises remain. I can't see but I'll take my chances to hear you call my name. TO HEAR YOU CALL MY NAME."

Psalm 13 says that God answers us, even though you're in the car, listening to K-LOVE, singing "Hold My Heart" and you really wonder... 'Does God REALLY love me?' Listen to the lyrics more and you'll hear: God DOES love you.

Next: Psalms 14 talks about atheists. (those who don't believe in God)

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments appreciated, keep them appropriate, however. Remember, this blog's audience is ages 12+, so be aware of who might be reading.