Monday, July 19, 2010

My God's Enough... Enough For Me

Have you heard the song "Psalm 73" by BarlowGirl? (on the playlist, press play) The song lyrics are:

"I've had enough, of living life for only me.
And reaching just
for things that keep destroying me!
So sick of envying, yeah
The lives of so many I see
Somehow believing that they have what I need

[chorus]
My God's enough for me
This world has nothing I need
In this whole life I've seen
My God's enough, enough for me
la la la la
la la la la
la la la la
la la la la"

Pause that. There's more, but this is why it's called "Psalm 73" (a.k.a. "My God's Enough") Because Psalm 73 says:

Psalm 73:1-17, 26
Surely God is good to Israel, to those who are pure in heart. But as for me, my feet had almost slipped; and I nearly lost my foothold. For I envied the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked. They have no struggles; their bodies are healthy and strong. They are free from the burdens common to man; they are not plagued by human ills. Therefore pride is their necklace; they clothe themselves with violence. From their callous hearts comes iniquity; the evil conceits of their minds know no limits. They scoff, and speak with malice; in their arrogance they threaten oppression. Their mouths lay claim to Heaven, and their tongues take possession of the Earth. Therefore their people turn to them and drink up waters in abundance...

There's more! I know, I chose a long chapter to talk about, but please keep reading! Press play now:

"I can't explain why I suffer though I live for You
those who deny You, oh
They have it better than I do
Cover my eyes now
So that my heart can finally see
That in the end only You mean anything"

Then, play the chorus and pause afterwards. Now, let's continue...

...They say, "How can God know? Does the Most High have knowledge?" This is what the wicked are like--- always carefree, they increase in wealth. Surely in vain have I kept my heart pure; in vain I have washed my hands in innocence. All day long I have been plagued; I have been punished every morning. If I had said, "I will speak thus," I would have betrayed your children. When I tried to understand all this, it was oppressive to me till I entered the sanctuary of God; then I understood their final destiny.

Now, listen to the bridge. It may only sound like a man rapping, but pay attention to what he's saying:

"Who have I in heaven but You
Nothing I desire but You
My heart may fail but not You
You are mine forever
My heart may fail but not you
You are mine forever"

it sounds just like Psalm 73:26 which says:

My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is my strength and my portion forever.

That's where the chorus comes from:

"My God's enough... ENOUGH FOR ME."

Next in The Bible Challenge: It's the final Psalm and final lesson of July--- don't miss it! Psalm 94:8-11

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments appreciated, keep them appropriate, however. Remember, this blog's audience is ages 12+, so be aware of who might be reading.