Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Issue: Stick It

I'm sure you've heard this question before: 'what do you wanna be when you grow up?' I think it's clear I ant to be an athlete for life.

But have you yet planned YOUR life after high school? Do you want to go to college? Do you want to be famous? Do you want to have a job or stay home with your kids or family members or whatever?

I have noticed that many people say they will do something but will not stick to it. Many children say they will become president, but by the time they've turned seven, they want to be a doctor. Then they want to be a teacher by the time they have turned thirteen, and next thing you know, they go to college for cullinary arts.

For me, I wanted to be a cheerleader, and I became one, but now to think of it, I've gotten pretty bored with it. High V, Daggers... it's the same thing over and over. chairs, preps, pyramids, waterfalls, 360s, libertys... I always have the same position. (I've been the top girl once, it's scary but super fun!!!) But I don't really like cheerleading anymore. Sure yeah, it's really fun, but what I always ask myself is:

If I could die one way, cheer or tumbling, which would I do?

And the answer is gymnastics. I'd rather fly off the bars then fall six feet down, pretty much the same height, onto the wooden basketball floor. And I could do gymnastics all my life.

Phases come and go, and cheerleading is one of them for me. But gymnastics surely isn't. Try to find something you can stick to, not something you know you won't like a year from now.

-Find what you love
-Work on it
-Find out if you like it enough
-Practice even at home
-Tell yourself to do it even if you don't feel like it one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments appreciated, keep them appropriate, however. Remember, this blog's audience is ages 12+, so be aware of who might be reading.