Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Bible Challenge: The First and Only Nativity Story

It's quite early to be talking about Christmas, isn't it? Yes. I know.

So much has happened since I stopped last month's challenge.

I scheduled gym appointments, I found out that because of stupid V.A. we can't have me do gymnastics there, I made blog changes, (changes you'll love) and really decided that I'll stay in Youth.

Now, you know the nativity story, probably. Mary, Joseph, Jesus... blah. Is that all? Blah? NO!

Matthew 1:18-21
This is how the birth of Jesus Christ came about: His mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be with child through the Holy Spirit. Because Joseph her husband was a righteous man and did not want to expose her to public disgrace, he had in mind to divorce her quietly.
But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, "Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins." (Jesus is the Greek form of the word 'Joshua' meaning the LORD saves.)

Is that all Jesus is to you? Blah? A baby? A descendant of David? You've probably heard this story before, even if you aren't a Christian. At least now you have.

The real story behind it all is:
An angel appeared to Mary one day (she was possibly doing laundry, at least that's what I imagine) and told her she would have a son and to be honest, Mary wasn't much older than... fourteen years old maybe? Not much older than you, if you're not older. So, if I were Mary, I'd be like:

"Um... I'm not married yet, so can you revisit me in a few weeks? See, I've got to go..." Excuses...

But MARY was smart. MARY allowed it to happen, unlike the excuse I would've used. ("See, I'm late for school, so can you come back after dinner?")

So, after she had the child, they named him Jesus. He was born on hay, in a manger, in a barn, in Bethlehem, in Israel, (I think) in the world. Because there was no room for them in the inn.

Jesus wasn't born for no reason. Jesus was REALLY born to die. He lived to die. He died for you to live. Talkin' 'bout the best of both worlds! Back then, it was hard to know that this baby was being born, just to be whipped and spit on and hung on a cross, and nailed and crucified. I couldn't imagine the pain.

If you were at Missions Extreme and you saw my human video, you have a good idea of the crucifixion. Believe it or not, there would've been many little girls at the site, probably many teenagers.

Jesus wasn't an excuse maker. He died for us. ("See, I'm only 33... a few more years and I'll get back to you.") He had the courage to pick up a cross, walk down the street, allow people to curse, scream, yell, and spit on him; get nailed to a cross, (ouch!) hang from his hands and struggle to push himself back up, and then die the worst death on Earth.

But, people often forget that Jesus came alive again three days later. There's a post for that. www.blogatmyfingertips.blogspot.com/2009/04/celebrate-its-easter-monday.html

JESUS ROCKS because even though that was 2,010 years ago, He's alive today!

P.S. Good and bad news: The Country Count is no longer on Blogger. But you can find it on Twitter! @gymnastics1710

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments appreciated, keep them appropriate, however. Remember, this blog's audience is ages 12+, so be aware of who might be reading.