Friday, September 17, 2010

The Bible Challenge: "I'm Holdin' On..."

Have you heard the song "Broken" by Lifehouse?

("Broken" is not on the blog due to it not being a Christian band, but the song is well Christian-based.)

Really, you need to see the music video. First, let's read our verse.

Matthew 16:23-25
Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men. [Then Jesus said to his disciples,] "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will find it."

Before we talk about the song, let's take it little-by-little. What's a stumbling block to you? What's keeps you from a good mood? For me, it's being nervous that (this is real-time) I'll completely, honestly suck at volleyball after like, three years of not doing it and switching to gymnastics and cheerleading. Or maybe when I return to gymnastics I'll enter the gym even worse than when I left. But, those are stumbling blocks. That's not what God has in mind, (as in worrying) that's what I have in mind.

Following Jesus comes with a $cOsT$. What Jesus is saying is that if you follow God, the road is GUARANTEED to NOT be easy. Even if it means dying for Christ, it's TOTALLY worth it.

In the video for "Broken", on YouTube, at 3:13, it shows the lead singer standing in the middle of the street, at an accident scene. There's two other people, a woman and an older man, with three smashed cars. He sees the woman, and she sees him. She soon finds herself---DEAD---in her car. She seems hopeless.

Then, an old man, (who honeslty, I think, looks like a Sharpay dog) looks down at the body and sees that it's him, on the street.

Then, the lead singer look at both of them and walks toward his OWN car. He soon sees that he isn't alive either. It takes him a moment before it clicks in his head: "I Can Stop This!"

He runs back into the tunnel and bangs on his car window begging himself to stop, and then a police officer goes up to him and says "Get out of the way" to the version of him who's not dead... yeah... you really have to see the video to fully understand what I'm talking about.

The point is, sometimes, we have boring lives and hate ourselves, but once it's too late, (not meaning when you're dead, cuz I'm going to Heaven, so that's like, impossible!) you start to regret you did nothing with your life.

But, if you lose your life for Jesus, you'll find it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments appreciated, keep them appropriate, however. Remember, this blog's audience is ages 12+, so be aware of who might be reading.