Saturday, June 9, 2012

Summer Reads: Surprised by Laughter

"No one's laughing at God, we're all laughing with God."
-Regina Spektor

"Surprised by Laughter: The Comic World of C.S. Lewis" by Terry Linovall is a collection of quotes and excerpts by C.S. Lewis, showing pieces in Lewis' writing about his sense of humor and how humor can be found in anything. Yes, even though he didn't ONLY write the Chronicles of Narnia, there ARE some excerpts from it, if you're a Narnia geek, too.

How can we find laughter in the most serious situations? How can we gain a positive outlook on life? How we leave our pessimistic ways behind?

Your questions WILL be answered.

As of accuracy and professionalism, the book met my expectations. However, it was very difficult for me to finish and I often found myself giving up on it and falling asleep while reading it. Not a book even this Narnia geek enjoyed.

I recommend this book to adults, hence the PhD and super long index. If you are thirteen years old, I guarantee you will NOT like this book at all. You will be bored to tears. No other way to put it. I warned you. Not even young adults wanna read it. When I say adult, I mean non-fiction and if you're old enough to be my mom you might like it. Yeah.

If you're a fan of encyclopedias and other things educated retired people like, welcome to the family.... this book is for you.

As for me, I will NEVER read it again. It wasn't that bad, but my attention span is not attracted to 600-page books about C.S. Lewis.

Paperback.
422 pages.
Thomas Nelson publishers.

Nevertheless, still I give thanks to Thomas Nelson for giving me this book for free! Maybe I'll find someone who will enjoy learning about C.S. Lewis as much as Terry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments appreciated, keep them appropriate, however. Remember, this blog's audience is ages 12+, so be aware of who might be reading.