Saturday, September 29, 2012

Spices and Herbs and Cloves, Oh My!

I love anything herbal, and I will talk about how to make herbal tea in the springtime. But for now, I am trying to stay healthy and prevent illness this school year.

They say your freshman year is your most important year of high school, even though colleges don't care much for it. I'm trying to have perfect attendance, up until Fine Arts. Especially since Math and Chinese are stupid. Even my English grade isn't good. I'm not failing any classes, but I wanted a 4.0 and I don't think it's gonna happen.

I noticed that my performance goes up whenever I have herbs in my system. Natural plants are also a great way to spice up your diet, lower blood pressure, lose weight, and much more!

CINNAMON
WHY WE LOVE IT: What I love about this spice is that it can be used in both sweet and salty food, deserts, entrees and all. Popcorn, apples, bread, tea, hot chocolate--- you name it. From drinks to puddings to solids, cinnamon's got it all. But did you know it can help fight stress? Or strengthen your immune system? Lower your blood sugar? It's great.

HOWEVER: Pregnant women should avoid Cassia cinnamon. I'm guessing it can make you miscarry because it carries some toxins that can damage your kidney and liver. Cinnamon can also cause thinning of the blood, so if you are a Hemophiliac like my friend is, this will affect how your blood clots.

CHAMOMILE

WHY WE LOVE IT: If you have stomachaches, diarrhea, or nausea, you will love this flower, too. It is great for treating menstrual cramps---and who doesn't love that---and sleep disorders caused by the commonly disliked PMS. Chamomile can also relieve you of gas! Going somewhere fancy? Drink some chamomile tea before you leave. It's also great on restless children and helps them calm down, mothers. Plus, your kids won't mind the taste.

HOWEVER: Chamomile can have a harmful effect on those taking blood-thinners, and can cause hemorrhage if you have a disease like that. Don't drink too much of it, it is like a drug after awhile and there will be puke. The plant has huge amounts of botulism, and babies might die if they have it. Give it to children ages five and up, I say. But medical people say above six months is alright as well.

BASIL
WHY WE LOVE IT: This is a well-known sweet Italian seasoning. It is also THE most popular herb in America. I, personally, use basil when I make my not-so-world-famous salsa. It's probs my favorite herb as well. You can use it in marinara, soups (especially vegetable soup--- yeah baby), and my favorite--- PIZZA right after removing it from the oven. Aside from taste, you can clear up your skin with it, stop yo stress, make your PMS feel a little less like hell and a little more like heaven, detoxify your liver, and more.

HOWEVER: In some people, basil can cause low blood sugar. It also contains estragole, a chemical that can increase your risk of getting liver cancer. And don't use basil oil, for the same reason.

GARLIC

WHY WE LOVE IT: It adds a great amount of flavor to steak, potatoes, salads, etc. It is also very strong. Also helps with vaginal infections. It relaxes blood vessels and helps with blood flow-- probably good for pregnant women during labor. A garlic-rich diet can help protect you form cancer.

HOWEVER: Too much garlic can cause indigestion, but most of us are thinking about the odor it causes. We all have a garlic story. I had to sit next to someone on a plane for two hours who had eaten garlic, and it was rather painful. Not even uncomfortable. Just painful. For the both of us. To help with that, fennel seeds neutralize the smell.

LAVENDER

WHY WE LOVE IT: Everyone loves lavender. I love the smell, the color, the taste. Everything about it. At homecoming this year I want to wear a lotion or perfume scented like it. I will at my prom, graduation, and wedding as well. And at my funeral, my corpse will be wearing lavender. If it were up to me, my name would be Lavender. Okay, that's a little much. I used to wear lavender lotion on my face when I was sick and it would clear me up. You can use it to fight dandruff, and face it, we all get flakes every once in awhile. Can stop bloating and improve digestion health. It might make you sleepy. Can calm itchy skin. And it tastes yummy for desert!

HOWEVER: When taken by mouth, lavender cna cause constipation. If you are a boy and haven't reached puberty, don't put it on your skin. It cna disrupt the hormones in your body. Some boys have grown boobs as a result. Stay on the safe side. Can also slow down the central nervous system.

PEPPERMINT

WHY WE LOVE IT: It is great on sore throats, especially with some honey and hot cocoa. It is analgesic, antiseptic, antispasmodic, decongestant, and even more. Can cure migraines. It is an antioxidant. Can protect agianst prostate cancer, it looks like (I'm looking at this website that is literally typing out the periodic table... what? Haven't taken chemistry yet...). It keeps skin pure.

HOWEVER: Peppermint may cause an allergic reaction in some people. If you are pregnant (or plan to become pregnant, like they say ont he medical commercials), avoide this herb as it can make you miscarry according to some Chinese people. The herb can interact with Neoral, Sandimmune, etc.

ROSEMARY

WHY WE LOVE IT: Rosemary is a beautiful name, but that's not all! It cna soothe your muscle and safeguard your summer food. You cna make an herbal tea out of this as well, and maybe I'll try it and talk about it in a later post. This is great on your scalp, too. Use it to prep your steaks and burgers to mkae them a lot less carcinogenic, by up to 92 percent. Put it in your marinade. Smell some of this to prep for the next college exam, SAT, or simply just learn a few new words for Spanish class (I would say learning characters in Chinese, but then I remember most students don't take Chinese) as it helps with memory skills. It can help your muscles relax, so gymnasts, use this. Other sports too, but gymnastics directly relates to me, so.

HOWEVER: Prego girls, this might kill yo baby, too. We don't want no miscarriages, do we? And if you have epilepsy or other seizure disorders, this can make the seizures much worse.
~~~
Well, I'm off to bed, y'all. Sorry I haven't been posting much... I will write on here as often as humanly possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments appreciated, keep them appropriate, however. Remember, this blog's audience is ages 12+, so be aware of who might be reading.