Sunday, August 17, 2014

The Broke Girl's Guide to Gettin' Paper!

In this economy, my dream house Pinterest board is nothing but a dream, and will be nothing but a dream for awhile. Especially considering I am going to be a starving artist coming out of college. However, I have found some little ways to save money, earn money, and get freebies. No matter how well off you are, you know you like getting things for free, don't you? Well, join the rest of us.

Here is my guide to saving money now, even if you're still with your parents!

  1. Never, EVER pay full price for clothing. I love shopping at Forever 21, but I am not willing to pay more than twenty dollars for a dress, to be honest. And unless it's this shirt, I'm not buying it unless it's on clearance. Being a fashionista isn't hard when you spend your money wisely!
  2. Thrift store does NOT mean garbage can. I like shopping at Goodwill and the dollar stores. I have actually purchased some of my cutest dresses from Goodwill, but I wouldn't admit it in real life. Actually, I have before. But still! And don't worry if you're spotted in a thrift store-- we all shop there sometimes! Jill Duggar's maid of honor (another Duggar sibling... not a big fan of that family honestly, but somehow I learned about Jill's wedding) even bought the bridesmaid dresses from a thrift store, and they were actually very cute. And nothing screams vintage better than something actually from that era.
  3. Never forget your student or military ID. Discounts, discounts everywhere! Need I say more?
  4. Don't buy books. I've never been big on book buying anyway, but when I became a book reviewer in 2010, I was practically being hired by WaterBrook Multnomah and Thomas Nelson Publishers to read a book and blog about it online. Was I paid? No. But, I mean-- free books!
  5. Volunteer. I am a volunteer at a regional theater in my area, and I get to see multiple musicals and plays this year-- I even get to see Wicked twice! All I have to do is be an usher, and I get to watch the stuff for free. 
  6. Start a little business. This doesn't have to be separate from your home; you can start a photography business, nanny business, cleaning, and like me, cake decorating business. It's a fun way to bring in a little bit of money on the side while doing what you love!
  7. Get a pay raise? Live off of what you were making before and add the rest to your savings account. I learned that on Pinterest.
  8. Make a list of things you buy often. What do you absolutely need? What could you buy a little less often?
  9. Do you own something you never use? Whether it's a violin or textbook, you can make fast money selling it.
  10. Save your lightly used binders. If it can last another year, use it for another year.
  11. The piggy bank works! If you want ice cream, get your change from Mr. Piggy. Don't dip into the twenty.
  12. Ride a bike. No, really. If it's not snowing, you're not sick, and you're going local, leave the car in the driveway and ride there! It saves gas, and it keeps you healthy. No need for a gym membership. Plus, it's relaxing when your calves aren't burning.
  13. If you can, try to have more than one job. I'm not saying work mornings at one job and nights at the other, but I'm saying if you babysit in addition to your fast food job, stick with it. Earn that dough.
  14. Start doing crafts. DIY projects are some of the best things you will ever do with your spare time, and they will save you a lot of money in the future. Crafts are for everyone!
  15. Know what to say no to. My school is going on a trip to Italy, but I want to take driver's ed this year. Obviously, driver's ed is the most logical thing to do. I can travel internationally any time in my life. Driver's ed is something I need to do within these next two years. See my point? Priorities.
  16. Ditch the salon... when you can. I get it; we all need a hair cut every once in a while. But when it comes to nails, facials, etc. you need to just get a Pinterest account and do some stuff yourself.
  17. Naturally infuse your water, and limit intake of soda and other unnatural drinks.
  18. Put ads on your blog or in your YouTube videos. I am not eighteen yet, so I am not sure if it is legal for me to get ads on my blog, but you best believe I will! Get money from any place possible.
  19. Stream music on Spotify or Pandora. I only use iTunes when I have a gift card (or feel like treating myself). Spotify and YouTube are free, so why not?
  20. Buy pocket sized deodorant. Only saves you but a few cents, but it's so dang cute!
  21. Most importantly, KNOW HOW MUCH YOU ARE SPENDING. A cautious spender is a good spender, and someone who may never have trouble paying rent. 
"Make that money; don't let it make you!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments appreciated, keep them appropriate, however. Remember, this blog's audience is ages 12+, so be aware of who might be reading.