The songs you are about to hear are on here for one reason: their lyrics. Ever listen to a song but you're only really hearing the beat? These songs make me want to stop and really hear what they're saying. What about you?
1. "My Oldest Friend" by Andrew Belle. "Do you know I miss you in my life... I was only looking out for me instead of getting you the help you need. Now who do you think you are? Who do I think I am, barely listening to my oldest, my oldest friend?" Andrew himself says this song is about losing a friend. Whether it's about death or loss of friendship, I do not know.
2. "With You I Never Lose" by Athlete. "I'm not letting go just yet but everything is telling me to."
3. "Chances" by Athlete. "It's all about your cries and kisses. Those first steps that I can't calculate... how to start again..."
4. "Get Up" by Barcelona. "Crawling on the ash, she's pitiful. She's lost her sense of light, she has to hold my hand. And I know we might be two kids without their jackets. My fear would come alive... she might not make it home tonight. Get up... get up..."
5. "Dare to Believe" by Boyce Avenue. "We've been in the dark for way too long. But when we turn around, we see a light shine through the haze. So forget about who was wrong, 'cause I have never been more ready to turn this page."
6. "Christmas Lights" by Coldplay. "When you're still waiting for the snow to fall, it doesn't really feel like Christmas at all."
7. "Birds" by Deas Vail and Matt Thiessen from Relient K. "When I'm just one fighting indifference, does it matter what I say? Oh God, how much does it take for us to be loved, for us to be saved? We are all birds stuck inside our cage, covered up with praise, and behind our saints we hide our face."
8. "Meeting in Doorways" by Deas Vail. "Your leaves are falling, dear. Our season's over. I will wait for one more year when leaves will fall again. 'Til your memory comes and goes, that slow reminder that my eyes will finally close and not come back again. Ooh ooh ooh ooh letting you go-o-o-o-o-o-o-o ooh ooh ooh ooh only to know-o-o-o-oh. Life is unpredictable oh oh oh oh oh..."
9. "Amen" by Edens Edge. "Yeah right, like I really could have said something. You wouldn't have heard it if a train was coming. You had your head so high in the clouds. Oh I, I had a really good reason for hiding my feelings but now I can finally spit it out. Someone give me an amen. SOMEONE GIVE ME AMEN! Can I get a 'thank God hallelujah'? He finally saw what she was doin' to ya. Your momma called and she was right. Glad to see you SO ALIVE! The whole town, yeah they hooped and hollered, she drove away, nobody stopped her. Na na na na na, I'll sing it again. Someone give me an AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMEN!"
10. "Too Good to be True" by Edens Edge. "Too good to be true. Like diamonds on the soles of my shoes. Like money falling out of the blue. Don't be fooled. He ain't nothing but too good to be real. Don't believe the way he's making you feel. He'll break your pretty heart in two. Momma told me 'bout boys like you. Too good to be true... La la lied like a politician, should have read the headlines, payed more attention to my suspicion, my intuition, I SHOULD HAVE LISTENED..."
11. "Undone" by FFH. "The secrets I keep are tearing me up inside, I try to hide them and I wonder why... I wonder why I'm still running when I know there's no escaping."
12. "Over My Head (Cable Car)" by The Fray. "Suddenly, I've become a part of your past..."
13. "Happily Ever After" by He Is We. "We all wanna know how it ends. Oh, happily ever after! Wouldn't you know, wouldn't you know? Oh, skip to the ending! Who'd like to know? I'd like to know! Author of the moment, can you tell me, do I end up, do I end up happy?"
14. "Two hands" by Jars of Clay. "I use one hand to pull you closer. The other to push you away."
15. "Echo" by Jason Walker. "I'm out on the edge and I'm screaming my name like a fool at the top of my lungs. Sometimes when I close my eyes I pretend I'm alright but it's never enough. 'Cause my echo, echo is the only voice coming back."
16. "Love Came Down" by Kari Jobe. "I am Yours, I am forever Yours."
17. "Wide Awake" by Katy Perry. "I wish I knew then, what I know now, wouldn't dive in, wouldn't bow down. Gravity hurts, you made it so sweet 'til I woke up on, on the conrete. Falling from cloud nine. Crashing from the high... Yeah I am born again, out of the lion's den, I don't have to pretend... Thunder rumbling, castles crumbling, I am trying to hold on. God knows that I tried seeing the bright side but I'm not blind anymore."
18. "Wonderwall" by Oasis. "I don't believe that anybody feels the way I do about you now."
19. "Airplanes" by the Local Natives. "I love it all so much I call... I want you back! Back, back. You back..."
20. "Cubism Dream" by the Local Natives. "I make a friend, I make you sick. Could you even imagine a kiss? We joked at how they talked so differently. I spoke of how I felt so differently."
(The above kids must have an excellent Mat Kearney fan as a music teacher) 21. "Sooner or Later" by Mat Kearney. "Baby it's like we're walking on a wire through the fields. Take my hand, we'll get there."
22. "Begin Again" by Measure. "Begin again. You're no calendar, you're no concrete plan."
23. "Who Are You, Really?" by Mikky Ekko (yeah, it had to be a Doctor Who video for reasons). "We are the fire, we'll see how they run..."
24. "Like the Sun" by RyanDan. "Whenever you're close to me, you're like the sun."
25. "Alive (Mary Magdalene)" by Natalie Grant. "Who could speak and send the demons back from where they cmae with just one Name?"
26. "Gravity" by Sara Bareilles. "You're neither friend or foe though I can't seem to let you go. But one thing that I still know is that you're keeping me down."
27. "Superhero" by landon Austin and Luke Conard. "I may not be able to fly, but I'll tkae you on adventures. May not move at the speed of light but if you need me, I'll be there."
28. "Somewhere Only We Know" by Keane. "This could be the end of everything, so why don't we go somewhere only we know?"
29. "Say When" by The Fray. "You're in a song, playing in the background. All alone, but you're turning up now... I'm breaking down an dyou're breathing slowly. Say the word an dI will be your man."
30. "Breathe" by He Is We. "You know, I fake it oh so well... my words are less than parallel with my feet. You ask me what I need and all I really need is to breathe."
31. "Shoreline" by Deas Vail. "This give and take, this waiting on time..."
32. "Liar" by Edens Edge. "I should win an Oscar, the best actress in a show. You always see me smiling, little do you know..."
33. "Last Supper" by Edens Edge. "Look through each other like a piece of glass. Is that what happens when the years fly past? Lately I've been feeling like that."
34. "It's Time" by Imagine Dragons. "It's time to build from the bottom of the pit right to the top."