Friday, February 6, 2015

Fifteen MORE Songs You Need to Hear in 2015

  1. "Centuries" by Fall Out Boy. You've probably heard it on TV at least twenty times (thank God the football season is over... it was the only song ESPN played for like, two months). This song needs to play at my funeral. "Eh eh eh eh eh, remember me for centuries!" You should also check out the song "Tom's Diner," which is the 80s song that inspired the song's infamous "do do do do do do do do" hook.
  2. "Promises" by Jhene Aiko. You've probably heard "Bed Peace" by her and Childish Gambino (yes, he's the one who got me hooked on her), but this song is FIRE. Even more than "Bed Peace" is. If I had to pick between them. This song is really beautiful; the beginning is solely about her and her daughter, Namiko (Nami). After the first chorus, it switches focus to her brother, Miyagi, who died of cancer recently. "'I am in the stars, and everywhere you are'... wish that you were here now, I'm missing you right here but, I promise I'll be all right... Everything is alright, everything's in your mind, life is what you make it... anything can happen, but you just gotta flow past it... if you fall down, get back up... everything is alright, promise I'll be, promise you'll be, promise we'll be alright."
  3. "Where No One Goes" by Jonsi. If you've seen How to Train Your Dragon 2, you'll recognize this song. I especially love how it mashes with John Powell's score. It's just gorgeous. 
  4. "There's A Fine, Fine Line" from Avenue Q. This is the ultimate breakup song. "I guess if someone doesn't love you back, it isn't such a crime. But there's a fine, fine line between love and a waste of your time! And I don't have the time to waste on you anymore. I don't think that you even know what you're looking for!"
  5. Magdalena Alberto's version of "I Dreamed A Dream." This is one of my absolute favorite versions of the song. It gets me right at 2:05. I don't know why, but the brass section here is just so beautiful.
  6. "Bittersweet Tragedy" by Melanie Martinez. Last time I mentioned her, I was raving about "Dollhouse." Little did I know the entire EP is fire! "Ice cream upon a summer's day, beginning sweetness never stays. Melting through the cracks in my hands, I guess I held on for too long."
  7. "I Hope You Dance" by Lee Ann Womack. 2000s nostalgia, anyone?
  8. "Dead to Me" by Melanie Martinez. Like I said: the whole EP is fire. 
  9. "I'm Alive" from Next to Normal. "I'm alive, I'm alive, I am SO alive!"
  10. "Go Do" by Jonsi. I don't know what he's saying 90% of the time, but it's such a cute song!
  11. "Munich" by The Fray. Yeah, this song is fire, too. The bassline, the guitar, the drums, Isaac's vocals... takes me back to when I first started listening to them (I was six!). My first Fray song was either "Look After You" or "How to Save a Life."
  12. "Red Lotus Theme" by Jeremy Zuckerman. While this is a score from The Legend of Korra, it is still amazing without words. The beginning of the song just has this utter creepiness that lets you know that whoever the bad guys are, they're nothing Korra's faced before. And I love the string section!
  13. "Don't Worry Now" by Britt Nicole. I don't like her current music (specifically "Gold"... blegh), but her debut album was FIRE. And that's not a word I use lightly. But this song, it's just full of honest feelings and emotions. I've been fortunate enough to be living with my father, but even though I can't really relate to this song, it still gets me... you know? If only I could find my copy of this album... I might have given it away. Ugh, that album was so good.
  14. "When She Cries" by Britt Nicole. Wow, I really miss her first album. WHERE DID I PUT IT?!?!?
  15. "Miss Missing You" by Fall Out Boy. "Centuries" got me listening to all their stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments appreciated, keep them appropriate, however. Remember, this blog's audience is ages 12+, so be aware of who might be reading.