Thursday, February 14, 2013

Timon & Pumbaa: Hakuna Matata!

What is the phrase that most commonly accompanies The Lion King? Everybody, sing it with me...

Hakuna matata!

I think everyone knows what this means, but just in case...
It means no worries, for the rest of your days! Well, specifically... it means, "there are no worries." It is Swahili for those that don't know (after all, this movie has more Zulu in it than Swahili).

My question here is: Is this problem-free philosophy really that problem-free?

If you've seen this movie recently, you know there are two sides to it all. See what happened to Simba, for example.

There is a difference between having no worries and no responsibilities.
(I believe this is the right video. I am at school and couldn't preview it, so I am sorry if this is a fandub.)

Simba uses "Hakuna Matata" as a way to run from his troubles. He seems to have issues dealing with the past from when he's a cub all the way up to when he returns to the Pridelands.

PUMBAA: "Is there anything we can do to help?"
SIMBA: "Not unless you can change the past."

RAFIKI: "Change is good."
SIMBA: "But it's not easy. I know what I have to do, but going back means facing my past. I've been running from it for so long."

"So many things to tell her but how to make her see the truth about my past? Impossible! She'd turn away from me!"

NALA: "What wouldn't I understand?"
SIMBA: "It doesn't matter. Hakuna matata."
NALA: "Huh?"
SIMBA: "Hakuna matata. Sometimes bad things happen..."
NALA: "Simba!"
SIMBA: "...And there's nothing you can do about it! So why. worry."

"I can't go back. What would it change anyway? You can't change the past! YOU SAID YOU'D ALWAYS BE THERE FOR ME! But you're not. And it's because of me. It's my fault. It's my... fault."

MUFASA: "You must take your place in the circle of life."
SIMBA: "But how can I go back? I'm not who I used to be."

Anyone else see a pattern here? Anyone else notice how much he holds onto his past? He also has a problem with change in this movie. He has trust issues in the second one. Which I understand.

Hakuna matata has a great effect on me. It helps me keep my sanity. For me, it really is a problem-free philosophy. Why? Because I don't use it to run away from my troubles. And I also don't have PTSD. Sure, you might argue that Simba doesn't have it either, but when you think about it, he does.

His father died when he was just a cub. Even worse, he saw him die. And even worse, he was tricked into believing he killed his father. Then he was banished from the Pridelands, never to return. If you are going to tell me you wouldn't be suffering emotionally, stop before you start lying. Maybe this philosophy worked for Timon and Pumbaa as it does for me. But in Simba's case, the only thing that can help him is facing his troubles.

Hakuna matata was his way of saying, there are no worries. I don't have any responsibilities. No one needs me. I'm just one person. I can't change anything. If I can't change the past, why should I care?

He was avoiding reality. While that may have worked for a few years, he couldn't really run from it for too long before he had to face it. What can we pull from this?

You can't run from your past. Because before long, it catches up with you. Don't use a carefree lifestyle to avoid your troubles, it'll only get you into deeper trouble.

Well, hakuna matata, everyone!

Timon's best lines
"When the world turns its back on you... you turn your back on the world!"
"You mean a whole bunch of royal dead guys are looking after us?"
"Why do I always have to save your AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!"
"You know her. She knows you. But she wants to eat him. And everybody's... okay with this? Did I miss something?"
"It starts.. you think you know a guy..."
"Carnivores! Oy!"
"I can see what's happening. And they don't have a clue! They'll fall in love and here's the bottom line: our trio's down to two. Ze sweet caress of twilight. There's magic everywhere. AND with all this romantic atmosphere, DISASTER'S IN THE AIR!"
"We're going to fight your uncle... for this?"
"You're the king? And you didn't tell us?" Simba: "I'm still the same guy." Timon: "But with power!"
"What am I supposed to do? Dress in drag and do the hula?"

Pumbaa's best lines
"Timon, you better look! I think it's still alive."
"It's just a little lion! Look at him, so cute and all alone!"
"When I was a young warthoooooooooggggggggg!!!!"
"I'm a sensitive soul though I seem thick-skinned. And it hurt and my friends never stood downwind. And oh the shame! I thought of changing my name! And I got downhearted every time that I---"
"I ate like a pig!"
"Oh, gee. I always thought they were balls of gas burning billions of miles away."
"SHE'S GONNA EAT ME!!!!!!!!!"
"King? Your Majesty, I gravel at your feet."
"They call me MR. PIG!!!!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments appreciated, keep them appropriate, however. Remember, this blog's audience is ages 12+, so be aware of who might be reading.