Wednesday, July 1, 2015

So, How Does the Supreme Court Ruling Affect Me?

Being raised in a Christian home, I was taught from the time I even knew what homosexuality was that it was wrong, because the Bible clearly says so. I was also taught that same-sex marriage should not be legal, as homosexuality is sin. I spent a great deal of my life believing this, but now that I am older (a senior in high school!), I have been forced to form my own beliefs on this topic.

Yes, homosexuality is a sin, written in the Bible. And yes, many Christians are grieving the same-sex marriage is now legal everywhere in the United States, including both of my home states (Ohio is pretty 50/50 with liberal/conservatism, so I bet you can guess what my Facebook news feed looks like. And yeah, it's even legal in uber-Mormon Utah). But I'm not grieving. And let me tell you why.

Homosexuality exists, and always has.
You can even find homosexuality in the Bible. Once again, I'm not going to say "love is love" or anything like that, but here's a truth for you: it exists. It has always existed. And let's be real-- same-sex marriage being legal isn't going to make new LGBT people pop up like daisies (like my Mulan reference?). Who was homosexual before is still homosexual now; who was heterosexual before is still heterosexual now. So, these people had already figured out their sexuality before the Supreme Court ruling, which means that whether they're married or not, they're still doing the thing. They're still attracted to the same sex, or doing the do with the same sex. So, them being married isn't a sin in itself-- they were already involved in homosexuality.

I'm not gay.
I don't know if there will be LGBT+ people in heaven or not, but that's not my business. I don't live the homosexual lifestyle, or really any kind of sexual lifestyle (almost seventeen and still single). And so, this ruling does not affect me. It really doesn't. I was able to get married before, and like I stated above-- homosexual couples existed before, but this isn't going to make more of them pop up suddenly. So yeah. But you know. Point is, I'm not gay, so this isn't my problem.

The sanctity of marriage has been in jeopardy for a very long time.
I have to say, the LGBT+ community getting married isn't the problem (or at least, not the only problem) when it comes to the sanctity of marriage. Think about how many people are on their third and fourth marriages (and not because of their spouse's death). Think about how many people drunkenly elope in Las Vegas. Think about how many people have been involved in "one night stands" because they don't want any of what comes with being in a relationship except for the sex. Think about how many people cheat on their spouses. Think about how many people are divorced. Think about how many children grow up without knowing one or both of their parents. Think about that and then tell me that you don't see anything else that we should worry about. Even traditional marriage isn't exactly 100% traditional for a lot of people.

The Supreme Court is not the final judge.
Who cares about what other men (and women, but you get my point) think? Technically, in the long run, my opinion really doesn't matter, either. The only opinion that matters is God's. I'm just gonna quote my girl Miley Cyrus here: "Only God can judge ya, forget the haters, 'cause somebody loves ya." What you think about this topic--let me be honest here--doesn't matter. What I think about this topic doesn't matter. Because the One with the real power has the final say on this matter. So, why grieve about such an earthly matter as what is allowed here? Because it doesn't change Christianity at all.

The church's stance will not, and should not, be moved.
Fellow Christians, no matter what, don't change your view on homosexuality. I personally still believe it's a sin, and if you think so, then alright. What the Supreme Court has to say about it has nothing to do with you. If you believe it's a sin, don't make society pressure you to believe otherwise just because it's changing. Your view does not have to change if you don't want it to.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments appreciated, keep them appropriate, however. Remember, this blog's audience is ages 12+, so be aware of who might be reading.